Net Metering & Solar Rates
Thinking about investing in solar energy? Are you a Rocky Mountain Power customer?
Here are the most important details you need to understand solar rates from 11/15/17 on.
- These apply to Rocky Mountain Power customers. If you live/work in a city with their own municipal power company, please check their website for rates.
- If you are interested in answers to other questions related to rooftop solar, such as financing options, how solar energy works, etc see our “buyer’s guide page”)
- If you are already a solar customer or had a net metering application submitted before 11/15/17, please see here for grandfathering information
- If you are a solar industry professional and want more in depth information about the settlement, please click to our Settlement Details page.
Net Metering 11/15/17 forward
New net metering customers will have the opportunity to make a safe and secure investment, unlike ever before。 For the first time, new solar customers will:
- Have a fixed rate structure and protected rates until 12/31/2032
- Not be forced to pay any additional fees or charges that non-solar customers don’t pay as well
- Have the ability to claim the Utah State Solar Tax Credit (residential) in the amounts of $1,600 in 2018, 2019, and 2020, pending approval of proposed legislation.
Net Metering Fees- All one time, upfront fees
Level 1- Residential and small commercial
- $60 Application fee, non-refundable
- $200 Meter fee, refundable
Level 2- Large commercial:
- $75 Application fee, non-refundable
- $1.50 per kw installed
Level 3- Large commercial with special circumstances:
- $150 Application fee, non-refundable
- $3 per kw installed
Net Metering Rates
- Behind the Meter = Energy that is produced and used directly within a home or business.
- 1:1 credit for each kWh produced and used- not subject to extra charges
- Most valuable energy produced
- Exported Energy = Energy that is not consumed in a home or business and is sent back to the grid for credit.
- Residential: $0.092/kwh exported (about 90% of retail energy rate)
- Commercial: See the table below (about 92.5% of retail energy rate)
Note: Rate for Schedules 1,2,3 becomes $0.094/kWh if the Utah State Solar Tax Credit (residential) is not extended in the 2018 Utah Legislative Session
As a solar customer, the energy you generate from your panels and the energy you consume in your home or business will be evaluated every 15 minutes.
- If you use more energy in your home or business in a 15-minute period, you will be charged your regular power rates for that excess energy consumed.
- If you use less energy in your home or business in a 15-minute period, you will be credited for each kilowatt hour you send back to the grid at the compensation rates in the table above.
Excess Energy Credits
Credits earned from excess, exported energy to the grid can only be applied to offset your power and energy charges- not against your fixed, monthly customer charge.
All excess credits are surrendered each March and donated to the low-income lifeline program。
Grandfathered Net Metering Customers- Original Rate Structure Customers
RMP customers (residential and commercial) that had solar installed or have a completed application submitted by 11/14/2017 will be considered “grandfathered” net metering customers (NEM Customers) and will be given the current 1:1 energy credits for energy they produce and send to the grid.
All NEM Customers will be grandfathered through 12/31/2035. During that time frame, they will:
- Receive a 1:1 kWh credit for energy produced credited toward what is consumed in their home or business to credit
- Credits will be netted monthly
- Remain in their respective rate classes and not have charges applied, including rate changes, new monthly charges and new fees that are not applied to all other customers in the same rate class.
Grandfathering applies to the meter on the home, not the customer。 In other words, when you sell your home, the new owner will receive the same treatment as you did。
Important: To be considered a NEM customer you do not have to have your installation completed, simply that a completed interconnection application was filed out by 11/14/2017。